home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Breakfast Shakes

Shakes for Breakfast
Here is another quicky breakfast we fix here for the kids. It is nutritious and delicious so kids say YES! and so does mom. My kids actually like to fix these as after school snacks when they get home.
We have several that we make.
My kids make them in our regular old blender that we have had for YEARS. It works fine. Sometimes the ice isn't all crushed but they don't seem to mind. When I make the milkshakes I now use my high power blender. I have a Health Master. I have liked it so far but don't recommend it to anyone. There are too many potential problems. I am already smelling the "hot machine" smell when I use for anything difficult which is what they advertise it for. If I had the purchase to make again I would get a Blendtec home blender. I have a friend that has had one for a long time and loves it and it still works beautifully. I wish I had been told that this was a better buy. I would have saved the $$ and bought this one instead. Hind sight. Oh well! On to the shakes. The advantage of the high power blenders is that they work way faster and I can blend up things in them that I can't in a blender, such as nuts and grains which add health benefits to my kids food.
Banana Milk Shake
1 cup milk
1 whole banana
2 Tbsp Peanut butter
1 Tbsp cocoa powder (I think we actually use a lot more than this) ☺
2 Tbsp whey protein powder (I don't do soy but you can if you like)
1 cup ice
Sweetener of your choice (we use honey, agave syrup, sucanant, or stevia depending on what is on hand)
1 tsp vanilla
Put everything in the blender and blend like mad until it is smooth.
This makes enough for 2 kids. In the big blender I will double or triple this recipe for the whole family.
Orange Julius
1 cup milk
1 cup carrot juice (originally called for water but hey I slip in veggies where I can. )
1 cup ice
6 oz orange juice concentrate (half a regular can)
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp whey protein powder
Sweetener to taste - with the carrot juice in there it doesn't take much and again we try to use healthier choices like agave syrup
Put everything in the blender and blend like mad until it is all smooth and yummy.
In the big blender I skip the carrot juice and just put in 2 raw carrots for this recipe. For the whole family I double this recipe in the big blender and blend the carrots and liquids first before adding the ice. It does a great job of liquefying the carrots.
Berry Smoothie
1 cup milk or orange juice or plain sweetened yogurt
1 cup frozen berries ( or frozen fruit mix)
sweetener if needed (or sometime we just add a banana and that is plenty sweet)
Put in blender and blend like mad till it is as smooth as you like.
Big blender berry smoothie
2 1/2 cups milk, Orange juice, or plain sweetened yogurt (or a mix of any of the three)
1/2 cup old fashion oats
handful of nuts
2 Tbsp flax seed - ground
1/4 cup whey protein powder
2 tsp vanilla
Blend this till smooth
Add
1 banana
2+ cups frozen berries of your choice - we like to buy the big bags of mixed fruit with strawberries, mango, pineapple, peaches and grapes.
If you think it needs sweetening, you can add a squirt or two of agave nectar or another sweetener you like.
This takes the higher power blender to get the oats and nuts blended enough to be able take. The kids and I really love this. It really fills you up and lasts all morning.
I have tried adding the flax seed, oats and nuts to all the above recipes and we like the addition. It does change the texture though.
I got the idea for this recipe from my friend Vea. Go check out her blog for more ideas for great food and money saving tips.

2 comments:

Natalia said...

I love smoothies! I make my son what I call a shrek smoothie. It is milk, raw spinach, vanilla protein powder, frozen vanilla and a bit of vanilla extract! It's YUMMY!!!

Thanks for these smoothie recipes!

Cindy L. said...

I am chiming in with an unsolicited endorsement for the Blendtec. We have had ours for over two years and it is just like new. It is a workhorse!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...