home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Scented Play Dough Tutorial

Play dough was one of my favorite things to play with when I was a little girl and I love making it for my children now. I love how home made dough feels. It is so smooth and has the right texture. I loved helping her make it over the stove and then helping her kneed in the color when it was done. I loved the feel of warm fresh play dough. It was so wonderfully soothing.
As a little kid, I had to attend many meetings and some night classes with my mom. She would pack a baggy of play dough and I knew that I was in for a treat for hours. I loved making sculptures and had all kinds of stories running in my head as I sat on the floor next to her or at the back of the room with a chair seat as the stage for my pretend play.

Well here is the recipe I use now for my kids. I switched over to scented dough several years ago. The one thing I hate about play dough is what it smelled like after a couple of kids had played with it. Now the dough has a nice fruity scent.
I bet you could also use essential oils and have herbal scented play dough. I might have to try that with lavender. Hmmmm.... Any way this is the recipe that always works for me.



Play Dough 001

Scented Play Dough
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 pkg fruit flavored drink mix (without the sugar)
1 Tbsp Alum
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup flour
2 cups boiling water

Directions:

Play Dough 006
Add flour, salt, flavoring, alum, and oil into a large mixing bowl.


Play Dough 007 Play Dough 008
Add the boiling water ....


Play Dough 013


.... and stir.
Play Dough 014
Add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour if needed ....

Play Dough 017
..... and kneed by hand .....
Play Dough 020

..... until smooth, soft and definitely not sticky.
Play Dough 021
Now Play!

3 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I haven't made this in years! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I used to sprinkle a little glitter in the dough for my daughter. :o)

Marylois said...

I've never thought of adding koolaid to the play dough. I'll have to try that when my grandkids come for a visit. Just a note, I tried making this without the alum once because I was all out. It didn't turn out any good at all and I had to throw away the whole batch.

Unknown said...

how fun!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...