home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Maid of Honor Cupcakes

I don't know where I had been hiding but this is an old treat that I had never tasted before. My dear friend Cheridyn and her sweet mama Lauralie shared this old time treat with our girls at a recent Girls Activity Day. Cheridyn shared a story about her great Grandmother Lucille Rawlins and shared this tasty treat that she used to make for her family each Christmas. I was lucky enough to know Lucille and she was a wonderfully sweet lady. She was always very pleasant and had a great sense of humor. She was really old when I knew her and I was only 12 or so. I remember her always being busy doing something.

maids of honor 1

This treat is a very old one. According to the story (as I remember it) this treat was a real Luxury for Lucille to make. It required using precious sugar which was rationed during WWII. It also has raspberry Jam in it which was a real Luxury because the berries were dear and because it required so much sugar to make it.

Here is the recipe as we got it.
Pie crust - from scratch, mix or ready made from the store.
Cake batter - from scratch or from a box (use a yellow or white cake)
Raspberry jam
Frosting - from scratch or a can

Directions:
Roll out your pie crust and cut out circles ( you can use a large glass or I use my biscuit cutter that is just under 3" in diameter)
Place the circle of pie crust in the bottoms of your greased muffin tins.
Place a small spoonful of Jam in the center of each pie crust.
Mix up your cake batter and pour some over the pie crust and jam. Fill the tins 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 deg F for about 20 minutes.
When they have cooled, remove them from the pan and frost them.
You can add half a maraschino cherry on top for fun.

maids of honor 2

These are really easy and so tasty. You can put any kind of jam inside these and I was thinking that raspberry jam with a lovely piece of chocolate on top of that baked in there. It could be something wonderful!

5 comments:

All the places you love said...

I wonder if FROG jam would work. Too bad I'm almost out of the stuff. I guess I'll have to come and get some more.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I am SO glad this is a photo and not in front of me -smile-. I could eat them all!

HotPatterns said...

These are very similar to a British Bakewell tart. They look equally delicious!

Maid of Honor Speeches said...

Wow, these cupcakes look so yummy! By the way, I didn't know that sugar was rationed during WWII. I thought only staples like butter were in short supply, so it's nice to learn something new here.

Anonymous said...

These go back even farther then you think. Anne Boleyn had these served at her and King Henry VII wedding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...