home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, May 19, 2008

Apron Angels

Valentine Aprons


Many of you are aware of my Apron Swaps I do. At the end of them I have been asked by some very wonderful participants if Apron Angels were needed to send off aprons to swappers that didn't get an apron for whatever reason.
The term Apron Angels has stuck in my head and after recent events in my community I would like to make a call out to My Apron Angels.
Just over a week ago on May 10th an F5 tornado and a few little ones as well, ripped through my community here in South West Missouri. Many lives were affected. We were fortunate to be unharmed. The tornado that wiped out the little town of Newtonia, missed us by only a mile.
The Monday after the storms I brought some bread and a pink apron to one of my friends hit by the storm. I was touched by how much the apron seemed to mean to her. The event got me thinking and I mentioned it to a couple of my Apronista friends and a plan was hatched.
I decided to make the call out to all my aproning friends around the country (if not globe) to send aprons to the women affected by this tornado. A couple of friends of mine in the community have offered to help distribute the aprons to the people affected.
Some of these women lost everything they had, other have had their live altered drastically and are trying to deal with the chaos that follows this kind of destruction both physically and emotionally.
We would like to send a message of love and encouragement with these aprons.
Aprons my be a simple bit of cloth and ruffle but they carry so much power with them. They are the uniform we choose to wear to serve and protect our loved ones. They are a message from our post and a hope for our future. They have the power to lift our spirits to remind us of happy times.
If you would like to be an Apron Angel and send a message of love and hope to these women, please contact me at byrdhouse1(at)windstream(dot)net. We will collect aprons here for several weeks and get them sent out to people as they come in. It would be nice if you could include a small note for your recipient.
Our goal right now is to collect about 100 aprons. I know there were more than this many affected but it is a start. We can use aprons from size 4-6 to 3-4XL.

4 comments:

Marylois said...

I've got an apron I just made that needs a home so I'll send it along. I don't have time right now to make another because I'm up to my ears in YW camp! It's 3 weeks away from today. If it's OK I'll send the pink patchwork one I made and was wearing at dad's funeral. It's my favorite one but I can make another one later.

Anonymous said...

I sent two out today Lucy.

RetroLeeTX said...

Lucy -
Just wanted to let you know I left a post on my blog about your Apron Angels project. I'm excited to get to working on my own contribution - thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

ok..i love those aprons!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...