home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hen Day

Every Wednesday, the Prairie Hens meet. We gather and one Hen's home and help her accomplish a project that helps her with her home and family. The group is made up of 5 intelligent, creative and very busy women. Collectively we have 28 children ranging in age from 2 month to about 30 yrs. old.
At each weekly meeting of the Hens we work on a project chosen by the hostess. The hostess also provides the entertainment for any children that come along for the day. The visiting Hens bring a delicious lunch for all.
This week the Hens came to my house. This was an odd week so we had a special project planned. We worked on making diapers for baby shower gifts for some of our friends.
Diapers 1
All the hens have donated supplies to make them.

I also squeezed in a few for Jeddie too.
Diapers 2
He wanted to demonstrate how to open them.
Here he is sporting one for you to see how well they fit.
Diaper 3
He loves to run around in just his diaper. The new ones are so stinkin' cute, I let him.

I fixed the food today since it was an extra work day. I promised the Hens I would post the recipes here.
I am on a very strict low carb diet right now so I fixed a recipe that would work for all of us.
I made Ham and lettuce wraps for me and Ham and no kneed bread for the Hens. Both were served with Basil mayonnaise. I think you could spread that stuff on card board and it would be to die for!
Lettuce Wrap
This is a leaf of Romaine lettuce, 1 tsp basil mayo, 1 slice of lean ham, some asiago cheese, and some sliced bell pepper.

I also served African peanut chicken soup. Sounded weird but tasted too good and was in my carb ok list (I had to pull all potatoes out of mine and only at a small serving of it.)
Peanut Soup
Here are the recipes.

Basil Mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise (use the canola oil kind)
10-15 basil leaves
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic

Place above ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

(this recipe wasn't used but I promised Miyuki that I would share it)

Cilantro Mayonnaise
¾ cup mayonnaise
¾ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic
Place everything in the food processor . Blend till smooth.

African Peanut Chicken Soup
INGREDIENTS
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced chicken meat
1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (canned or fresh)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
In a large stock pot, cook the chicken in a little olive oil. When it is done add the onion, celery, peppers, and carrots. Saute for a few minutes. Add the broth (8 cups water and 8 tsp Knorr chicken bouillon) and potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes, till vegetables are tender.
Add zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Simmer for about 8 minutes.
Add peanut butter, parsley, salt, and pepper; stir until peanut butter is fully blended. Simmer for 3 minutes longer.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

Are you still using the pattern I sent you? Did you make any alterations? They look so completely fantastic. I kind of miss diaper sewing now.

Lucy said...

I used the Chloe Toes Diaper that you digitized. I think about you everytime I use it. :o) My alterations weren't that great and it was easier to just trace. :o) I have made so many of them that I am starting to get good at it. We gave some to Miyuki today.

Cher in Victoria said...

THe African soup receipe is excellent and easy to make. It is a keeper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...