home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, February 05, 2007

Hanna's Dinner

I think I have mentioned before that I am having the kids fix dinner on Friday nights. This last week was Hannah's turn and she was so excited to get to do such a grown up job. She loves to cook and chose her 2 favorite things to fix, Ramen and Easy Candy. :o)
Here are her recipes/tutorial pictures of how you make these delightful dishes.

Easy Candy
all done
In a Saucepan mix:
2 C sugar
Measure
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
½ C milk
½ c butter
Mix and boil for 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat and add:
1 C peanut butter (your favorite - creamy or crunchy)
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Mix it
Mix until the peanut butter is melted and mixed in.
Add:
3 C rolled oats ( in the past I always used quick oats but have found that Old fashioned oats are just as good and better for you.)
Mix in thoroughly.
Plop it
Drop by spoon onto wax paper covered cookie sheet. Place in the freezer to firm up.
Now is a good time to make sure it tastes right.
Taste it!
Storage has never been an issue so I guess after they are hard you can put them in an air tight container and store them in the freezer. If you keep them at room temperature they get grainy and I just don’t like that so we do the freezer. However, as I said before they don’t last beyond the day we make them.

This is a Bennion family tradition. It is fast and easy and kids can make it. We made this for family home evening and anytime we needed a chocolate fix. After we moved to Missouri I would make this when my mom and dad would leave me home alone and I would make it fast, put it in a plastic container and keep it under my bed. I would then wash up, dry and put away all the dishes so no one would know. I never told this to my mom until I found out that my Grandma Wood used to do the same thing when she was a kid back in the 1910’s with fudge. Snitching and hiding chocolate has a long history in my family. I think my kids are looking to the day when they can do this too. It is hard to sneak things past a sneaker though.

Ramen a la Hannah
Ingredients:

  • 1 package of your favorite Ramen Style noodle soup mix.

Ramen

Fix this according to the package directions. Tip for better ramen, don't boil very long so the noodles are more firm. They are better and more authentic.

  • Add-ons: Things you choose to add to your ramen. Here are some of our favorites:

Add ons

For a more adult flavor you can also add a drop or two of toasted sesame oil and about 1/4 tsp of soy sauce.

Real Ramen

This recipe actually comes from my Sister-in-law Miyuki who is a native of Osaka. She fixed this for us one Sunday and we were surprised at how well we liked Ramen again.

Boiled Pig

pork shoulder roast

1 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup sake (don't have it so use sprite)

3 Tbsp sugar

2 cups water

seasoning:

3 thick green onions cut into long pieces

1 inch chunk of fresh ginger sliced

5 spice mix just a pinch, (this is optional)

************

Stab the meat with a fork and tie it with string. Boil water, add the meat. Boil until white. mix the sauce and boil. Add the boiled meat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-2 hours. Turn off heat and leave until cooled down. Slice and serve on Ramen.

Stir Fried vegetables

Chop up favorite vegetables: cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, broccoli, what ever.

Put a little oil in your pan and heat it on high. Add the vegetables and stir quickly to cook. Season with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

Marylois said...

We made the pork for dinner last night. It was very good. I'm not a roman noodle fan because they are too many points :o) so I served it with rice, brown rice is good. We loved it!

angeliclenore said...

At scouts this week Calvin made these cookies but with a twist! They put the hot cookie "dough" right into a ziploc bag and then cut off the tip of the bag and oozed the "dough" onto a plate to make it look like poop! The boys had a BLAST! I am excited to do this again for April fool's day!

futuregirl said...

What your family calls easy candy, our family called no-bake cookies. We made these all the time. They are totally my favorite. And you are right, storage is never an issue. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...